Saturday, October 22, 2005

Jose Gonzalez | Love Will Tear Us Apart

Jose Gonzalez is a Swedish folkie that all the kids are raving about these days as he stopped by NYC for a few performances. He hasn't clicked me for me yet but I am digging his acoustic cover of Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

My freshman roommate was a big Joy Division fan and used to play the song regularly. However, I never appreciated it until hearing Nouvelle Vague's bossanova version earlier this year on their fantastic self-titled debut. Now hearing an even more stripped down version of the song from Jose Gonzalez has increased that appreciation. When a song can be performed so many different ways and be enjoyable each way, it has to be a well-built tune.

You can stream Nouvelle Vague's cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" here.

Jose Gonzalez - Love Will Tear Us Apart (courtesy songs:illinois)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not much into Joy Division, but it is a great tune. Some friends of mine wound up on a JD tribute CD doing this tune. I've even heard a Tuvan rock band do it.

Flatlander said...

I actually tried to add the Tuvan throat singing version to my post except the link on Stereogum was dead. The link for the Calexico version was dead too, unfortunately.

Unknown said...

I didn't know Calexico had done a version.

Flatlander said...

Calexico has done a version of it live but not on an album. Apparently 10,000 Maniacs has cover it too.