Friday, August 12, 2005

Great Lake Swimmers

I've heard of some odd recording locations but this one is pretty peculiar. Toronto-based Great Lake Swimmers chosed an abandoned grain silo in southern Ontario to record their self-titled debut album. I don't know what impact it had on the recordings but I do think the drums have a weird sort of staccato echo to them.

While I'm not a huge fan of singer / band leader Tony Dekker's lo-fi acoustic brainchild, I do love this tune. I wish the rest of the album lived up this track.

But they have a new album called "Bodies and Minds" coming out soon. Perhaps that album will deliver on the promise of "I Will Never See the Song". The first track I've heard from it, "Various Stages" sounds hopeful.

Great Lake Singers - I Will Never See the Sun
Great Lake Singers - Various Stages

No comments: