Tuesday, December 05, 2006

2006 Year End Survey | Philip Baruth

In an attempt to get a broad representation of the area's musical taste this year, we invited a number of people that aren't a part of the daily music scene to also contribute. Kicking off that list is novelist Philip Baruth. In addition to writing, doing commentaries on VPR and teaching at UVM, Baruth also writes the blog Vermont Daily Briefing which was voted the Best Blog in Vermont by Seven Days' readers this year.

During the campaign, I pestered Baruth with emails that complained about the lame graying folky campaign songs that Scudder Parker's supporters were recording (and Baruth was posting). I thought Parker should have been going with a fresher hipper tune like The Go! Team's "We Listen Everyday". Regardless, Baruth always remained polite in the face of my inane hipster rambles.

1) What was your favorite song of 2006?

Since I know how you felt about the Scudder jingles, I'm tempted to answer that they were my favorite songs of '06 . . . but as lame as it sounds, it was probably the Dixie Chicks.

The Dixie Chicks - "Not Ready To Make Nice"

I know, I know: lameass old leftie blogger type

2) What was your favorite album of 2006?

The Dixie Chicks - Taking the Long Way

3) What was your favorite concert of 2006?

Didn't see any concerts, at all (I have 3 kids)

4) What was your favorite thing about 2006?

Midterm elections, baby, in particular the Welch win in Vermont, and the roasting of Rick Santorum over a slow fire in PA.

5) What are your best wishes for 2007?

We leave Iraq, and after about 90 years, the Iraqi people forgive us.


Baruth's novel The X President is available from Powell's Books.

The Dixie Chicks | Not Ready To Make Nice | Buy

No comments: