Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Sunny Duval | Achigan

A few months ago, I posted about the Québécois garage band, Les Breastfeeders, that has spent the last year tearing up Montreal clubs following the release of their debut album, Déjeuner sur l'herbe. Well, the guitarist from Les Breastfeeders, Sunny Duval, decided to release a solo album during the downtime between Breastfeeder releases. His new album is called Achigan and is available via Bonsound.

Based upon the few tunes you can stream from the album on Duval's website, the material isn't as strong as the stuff from Les Breastfeeders. However, if you like that garage punk sound, it's still a fun listen. It just lacks the cheesy organ bopping along in the background. Regardless, my favorite so far is "J'aime la barmaid" ("I Love the Barmaid").

Regarding Les Breastfeeders, they are playing a one-off show this Friday, Nov. 25 at Maison de la Culture Maisonneuve. Based upon the photo on that site, it looks like a fancy venue for a bunch of roughnecks like Les Breastfeeders. Here's Duval's description of one of their shows back in October:

Damn it, my teeeeeth ! I must have got hit at least 2 or 3 times by my own mike, playing the Escogriffe last saturday night, the crowd was jam-packed and this guy kept falling on us, 'til he was evicted by doorman Hugo Mudie from the Ste-Catherines, I guess, cause I didn"t see him again. Some hippie kept coming back onstage, even though I kept pushing him away -I'll push anyone who comes near. Many heard me screaming (translate) "Go fuck away, hippie", but I'd like to say that I have nothing against hippies, as long as they don't smell of patchouli or don't come onstage. I just screamed the first word to come to mind to describe him.
Sounds like a fine rock'n'roll show.

In an email from Duval, he said that besides the show this week, they won't be playing again until next year. They are taking time to write some new material. In the meantime, we can enjoy Déjeuner sur l'herbe and Duval's Achigan.

Les Breastfeeders - Mini-jupe et watusi
Les Breastfeeders - Laisse autant le vent tout emporter
Les Breastfeeders - Ostrogoth-à-gogo

No comments: