Friday, January 25, 2008

Rotary Downs

You can't tell the story of a band from New Orleans without connecting them to Katrina and it's going to be that way for the next several years. Now, I could write a bunch of words explaining Rotary Downs and their situation but this video from Al Gore's Current does a much better job than I ever could.



I'm not as emphatic in my praise for Chained to the Chariot as some reviewers have been because the album can be a bit spotty. However, when it's good, it's an infectious blend of Beck's layered sounds with Stephen Malkmus's Pavement-era disaffected vocals. Plus, I'm a sucker for bands that blend trumpets and xylophones with jangly guitars.

Yes, I skip over some tracks while I listen to the album but you should still buy the full album rather than individual tracks because...well...the dude lost everything he owned to Katrina and he could use your help.

Rotary Downs | False Protection | Buy







Rotary Downs | A Feast In Squalor | Buy






No comments: