Monday, January 28, 2008

The New York City Waterfalls

I wasn't sure which way to go with this post...do I rip into the provincial New Yorkers for getting excited about some faux waterfalls when dozens of spectacular real waterfalls exist throughout New England if they'd just be willing to drive a few hours outside of their comfort zone or do I applaud the installation of another public art display.

I'm going with the latter.

I like the idea of art being easily accessible to the public and on display where people go about their lives. It makes art a part of the masses daily experience rather than something behind wealthy walls for the few. So, it should be cool to check out the four waterfalls that'll be installed by Olafur Eliasson in the East River this July. Each waterfall will be powered entirely by the pressure of the river which sounds eco-friendly to boot.

At some point this summer, I'm sure I'll head down to NYC to catch one of the last games in Yankee Stadium (before they move across the street to their new home). Now with these waterfalls in the East River, I'll be sure to take the NY Waterway ferry to the game which should run right by a few of the cascades. It's the proverbial "killing two birds with one stone".

No comments: