Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pavement | Wowee Zowee Reissue | Other Crap


Since I just posted about Yo La Tengo, I thought I'd keep the 90's Matador theme alive and post about Pavement.

A few highlights:

1) Following the success of the S&E and CRCR reissues a few years ago, Wowee Zowee will be reissued this fall. Same drill. Some live tracks, b-sides and rareties. I've always loved Wowee Zowee so I hope this reissue holds up to the quality of the last two. Also, as I've mentioned before, I hope this is the last reissue. Their last two albums don't deserve reissues.

2) rbally has the mp3 files from an acoustic set Malkmus did at KCRW last summer when he was out supporting Face the Truth. I never warmed up to Face the Truth but I like this set.

3) Brooklyn Vegan had a post a few weeks ago that started a rumor that Pavement may be considering a reunion tour. Every other former band is cashing on reunion tours...why not Pavement? They would make a lot of bank and the guys are still involved in music so they wouldn't sound like retirees relearning their own songs. I'd go in a heartbeat.

4) Malkmus and Ibold played with Sonic Youth at Bonnaroo last month. My friend, Scott, sent over a copy of Malkmus singing "Expressway To Yr Skull" with Sonic Youth during their encore at Bonnaroo. The sound quality is a bit muted but if you collect everything that is Pavement, it's worth having. For a visual, here's a portion of the same performance via YouTube.



Sonic Youth (with Stephen Malkmus) | Expressway To Yr Skull

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta disagree with your comment about the last 2 Pavement records...Although certainly no SE, CR or WZ...they are both very good in their own ways. I'm especially partial to Brighten the Corners...Stereo was the first Pavement tune I ever heard. I also like Embassy Row from that record a lot. From Terror Twilight, my favs are Speak See Remember, Carrot Rope and Folk Jam.

But the production quality on both of those records is much better than the others, so I don't think it's a matter of not deserving to be reissued as much as not needing to be.

By the way, have you read that Pavement book, Perfect Sound Forever? I'm in the middle of it right now.

Flatlander said...

I've heard similar comments from other fans that first heard their later albums. I guess it's a matter of what drew you to them since the last two sound different (read...more polished) from their earlier recordings. Part of the reason I fell in love with them was their sloppy nature which TT & BtC lack.

I've read Perfect Sound Forever and enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend it to a non-fan but is a good read for fans.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what I've enjoyed about the book is the new light it sheds on the music. I've been listening to S&E continuously while reading the book. I just checked eBay to see what a copy of Slay Tracks is going for these days...One copy found for $1K.

Hey, you're obviously a music fan (as am I) and you live in Montpelier (as do I)...If you're ever up for getting a beer and talking shop, let me know.

I'm a guy, by the way...Just so you don't think I'm some hot young NECI chick hitting on you.

Oh, and I'm also straight...Just so you don't think I'm some hot young NECI dude hitting on you.

Nope...Just a guy who loves music, loves to talk about music, go to shows in Boston, Montreal, Northampton, and occasionally Burlington, etc.

Here's what's getting heavy rotation in my iPod and CD players recently:

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
Boris - Pink
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Broadcast - Tender Buttons
Keith Fullerton Whitman - Lisbon
The Fall - Bend Sinister
Mogwai - Young Team
NEU! - NEU!
Tapes 'N Tapes - The Loon
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Flatlander said...

Cool. It's always good to meet another indie fan in town.

Are you going down to Boston next week for The New Year show at Middle East (Fri 8/11)? If so, there are two of us from town driving down (probably coming back that night), if you want a ride.

Either way, shoot me an email at jamkids@gmail.com