Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year's Resolution

In 2005, my resolution was to get back into seeing live shows. Between our first child being born in early 2002 and our second being born in 2003, I had largely stopped going to shows for about three years. However, I missed the excitement of live music and made a big push to get back into the clubs. There were definitely some painful nights and groggy days this year as I tried to balance late night shows and sleepless children but I'm glad I did it. Overall, I made it to about fifteen shows in 2005.

For 2006, my resolution is to spend more time checking out Vermont bands. I spend a lot of time listening to bands from everywhere except from Vermont. I know indie rock/pop isn't the prevalent sound of the state but I'm sure if I push myself a bit, I'll find some good local stuff. Therefore, I'm going to try to post at least once a month about a Vermont band that excites me. I know it's a lame mechanical trick to force myself to search for VT bands I like but I'm a lazy bastard that relies on lame mechanical tricks to get me through each and every day.

3 comments:

jds said...

"Therefore, I'm going to try to post at least once a month about a Vermont band that excites me."

Do you think there are a dozen exciting bands in Vermont? I assume you being liberal in your definition of Vermont band (not necessarily based here, ie: Spinto Band).

Flatlander said...

Ha! Yeh, come the hazy days of summer, I may be stretching the definition of a Vermont band to include anyone with maple syrup in their fridge and a set of skis in their basement.

Seriously, I figure Seven Days reviews two local bands each week and there are a boatload of mp3 files of local bands available on Big Heavy World.

One way bit of stretching I'll be doing though is writing about both Colin Clary and The Smittens. I know Clary is also a member of The Smittens but his solo stuff sounds more like John Darniele to me than the twee-ladened sound of The Smittens.

So, that's basically my January and February fulfilments of my resolution. Now I just have to mine ten more nuggets out of the year.

Anonymous said...

False 45th said:For 2006, my resolution is to spend more time checking out Vermont bands.

And be nice to speed drumming.