Friday, July 13, 2007

Beckham Mania | Not So Much in Montpelier

While the soccer and celebrity lovers of the country are going gaga over the arrival last night of David Beckham in LA, things are a little different in Montpelier. Here's a brief conversation I had with some old guy at tonight's Mountaineers game:

During the rain delay, I noticed the guy in front of me was wearing a Real Madrid hat which is Beckham's former club. So, I decided to spark a conversation with him.

Me: Excuse me, sir. Are you a Real Madrid fan?

Him: Huuuuuh?

Me: Your hat. Are you a Real Madrid fan?

Him: Huuuuuh?!? [He then pulls on his earlobe and turns his ear to me giving me the impression he wants me to yell into his ear.]

Me: You're hat says Real Madrid! I was just wondering if you're a Real Madrid fan!

Him: Oh. My son went to Europe for vacation and bought it for me. It's say Real Madrid [he pronounced Real as "reel" rather than the Spanish version of "rey-ahl"] . It's some soccer team over there.

Me: Uuummm. OK. Thanks.

No comments: