Sunday, September 17, 2006

Garden Update

I haven't post much about our garden. We've gotten a bunch of carrots, cherry tomatoes and peppers. The celery was kind of puny and crappy. A few cucumbers.


We haven't kept up with the weeding though and the witch grass has overrun our plot. So, now it's basically a big pumpkin patch. We have five big pumpkins growing nicely. They should turn orange over the next few weeks and make some nice jack-o-lanterns for Halloween.


We tried planting a watermelon plant despite repeated advice from my sister that it doesn't get hot enough for a long enough period of time to grow them. But we had some extra space so we thought we'd give it a whirl. We got just one watermelon from the plant and, as you can see from the picture, it was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand.


Despite the small size of the melon, my kids were still excited to eat it. They're Grade-A watermelon junkies. Unfortunately, the fruit inside of the melon didn't develop far enough for it to be eaten. I guess my sister was right.

No comments: