Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Frightened Rabbit

Sometimes I annoy myself when I fall for a band like Frightened Rabbit. Come on. Does the world need another folk-based indie pop band? Is the art form being progressed in any measurable manner? Am I challenging myself in any way when I listen to them?

Nope.
No.
Nada.

So, what is it that draws me to Frightened Rabbit? Well, it's like chocolate chip cookies. I've eaten a million of them in my lifetime but when they are done well, I'll pick them over a fancy chef-designed desert any day. Frightened Rabbit is that kick-ass chocolate chip cookie that's warm and gooey on the inside but slightly crisp on the outside. So good.

Lead singer Scott Hutchison's nasal Scottish vocals fall right into my wheelhouse of singers who can't sing but still deliver the necessary passion while the music is driven by an undercurrent of a jangly acoustic guitar and propulsive beat. Their song "The Modern Leper" off their new album The Midnight Organ Fight is one of the catchiest songs of the year. And "Old Fashioned" isn't far behind. In fact, the whole album is an easy-to-enjoy romp through your ear drums. I'll probably hate it by the end of the summer but for right now, it's a good cookie.

By the way, they'll be playing at Great Scott in Boston on Memorial Day.

Frightened Rabbit | The Modern Leper | Buy







Frightened Rabbit | Old Old Fashioned | Buy






No comments: