Sunday, May 20, 2007

810th Place

This may sound weird but I'm pretty proud of my 810th place finish in last week's Corporate Challenge Cup in Montpelier. Here's why...I had never run in any organized race before and until about a month ago, I hadn't exercised regularly in 2-3 years. So, to go from getting winded while climbing a flight of stairs to actually being able to run 5K without stopping or walking, in one month, feels pretty cool. Plus, I had a goal to do it in less than a 10-minute mile pace and I came in at 9:56 per mile. So, it all worked out like I had hoped and I lost about 30 lbs. in the process.

Having said all of that, I felt like the worst car at the Indianapolis 500. Besides the injured along the side of the road, I don't think I passed a single person on the entire route. It was just a constant stream of people motoring on by me. Now I know how my grandmother felt driving on the highway.

The other problem is that my knees are still aching from last Thursday's race. So, I don't know if I'll do it again. Perhaps I'll do it again next year but the only way I'd train for it next time would be by riding my bike or something else that doesn't pound on my knees. The race was fun but aching knees suck.

No comments: