Monday, November 26, 2007

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist | Coming to Montreal | Jan 29

A few years ago, my brother-in-law gave me a fantastic Christmas gift. It was a copy of Brainfreeze by DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist. I had no idea what it was at first but the description on the cover intrigued me..."a nonstop live mix of strictly 45's and exercise in vinyl destruction". Oh, that sounded good. What followed was a frenzied layered mix of soul and funk with plenty of scratching peppering the aural collage. It quickly became one of the most prized CDs in my collection.

Now, over Thanksgiving dinner, the same brother-in-law tipped me off that Shadow and Chemist will be touring together again this winter. He's going down to NYC to hit the shows at Irving Plaza which tempted me until I noticed that the tour was coming to the Metropolis in Montreal on Jan 29. I know they aren't going to be performing Brainfreeze (currently out-of-print) in any form during this tour but the magic and skill between these two has made this a must-see show for me. I have no idea what their visual presentation will be, which is important since it's pretty boring to watch two guys flip vinyl, but the sounds should be a fresh delight.

Now, let's just hope for some good weather on Jan 29.

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist | Brainfreeze - First | Buy








photo courtesy of ajmiller82

No comments: