Friday, December 16, 2005

Les Breastfeeders | Live Dates | Video

Over the last few days, I've started working on my list of top albums for 2005 (I'll probably roll it out next week). One album that I've been loving and wanted to add to the list was Les Breastfeeders' Déjeuner Sur l'Herbe. However, I was finding conflicting info regarding the release date.. iTunes said it was 2005, their website didn't say and Wikipedia said it was 2004 (thanks Jim for tracking that down for me). I eventually decided that iTunes is probably wrong and sadly had to scratch them from the list.

The upside of the search (and ultimate scratching) was that I found a video of them performing "Ostrogoth-à-Gogo" in Boston earlier this year. The sound quality isn't very good but it still gives a good sense of what their shows look like. It seems, as I suspected, that the tambourinist, Johnny Maldoror, livens up the stage show a lot with his shirtless antics. As you watch the video he pops up in all sorts of spots on stage including between frontman Luc Brien's legs.

I haven't had a chance to see them live yet and this video has only made me more eager to catch them. That's why I was excited when I saw that they had four concert dates set for the next month. I noticed that none of the shows were in their hometown of Montreal so I spent some time trying to figure out where these gigs were gonna be. Boy, was I disappointed.

None of the four shows is within four hours of Montpelier. The worst is almost a seven hour drive. I like their album but not that much. To give you an idea of how far north Les Breastfeeders are going in Quebec provence, I put together this Frappr! map with pins in the locations of the four shows. Who the hell lives way up there? Are there really that many fans of the band up there?

Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to wait until they announce some more dates. Hopefully, there'll be a few Montreal shows next time.

Les Breastfeeders - Mini-jupe et watusi
Les Breastfeeders - Laisse autant le vent tout emporter
Les Breastfeeders - Ostrogoth-à-gogo

No comments: