Friday, February 15, 2008

Bad Flirt | 2.16 | 242 Main

I don't think I've ever actually moved beyond many of my adolescent tastes, especially when it comes to pop. There's something about the high school cheese drama that I adore. I've never actually let go of my That Dog records (Totally Crushed Out! and Retreat from the Sun). Simple, cute, and maybe a bit silly in it's anger, but it strikes a chord.

I get the same feeling when it comes to dancey post-punk/new wave acts such as Metric and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. A recent addition is Montreal's Bad Flirt. High energy pop tart tracks filled with chick leads, hooks, and archetypical post-punk bass lines. And if that isn't corny enough, they won a battle of the bands on Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's website. Holy crows do I feel like a gross old man.

I'm heading to their Saturday show at 242 Main with my niece that's half my age. I have a feeling we'll both be satisfied.

Bad Flirt + Cave Bees + In Memory of Pluto + To the Barricades + Dylan Beadeau | 242 Main | Burlington

Bad Flirt | St. Valentines Day Massacre (unmastered) | Myspace







Bad Flirt | Hiroshima, Mon Frere (unmastered) | Myspace





5 comments:

Bob F. said...

Great find.

That's the kind of band that my wife will notice the CD case, and say "Nice taste, perv pants".

kingdomforavoice said...

I'm with you on this one, i'd be there but my wife is in the vagina monologues that night.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

How was this show? I really wanted to go drink in the tasty bubbly pop. Phooey.

jds said...

My 15 y.o. niece and I showed up at 9:15 for a lineup of 5 bands that we thought started at 8pm. Our thought was that we'd make it there for approximately half of the show, which would be plenty of local acts and then the headliners. We walked in just as Cave Bees took the stage. Their brand of 3 chord garage/punk was perfect for the setting (9 scene kids in skinny jeans). And their song Sweet Pussy made it sorta like the Vagina Monologues (where else do you hear "I think that you're mine" rhymed with vagine?). They played a nice long set (Round Sum was the highlight) and then they cleared the stage. The room cleared out, the equipment got packed up and the lights turned on. We were all wtf? I guess Cave Bees were the headliners and everyone went to bed at 10 pm (I know it's a teen center, but come on). I assume Bad Flirt played, but I guess I'll never know.
Next time I drive all the way down to 242 from Barre I'll be sure to be prompt.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Man, thanks for the recap! That sucks about missing Bad Flirt - I wonder if they were there?