Thursday, August 07, 2008

Von Südenfed

Back in college, my freshman roommate introduced me to The Fall and frontman Mark E. Smith. At that point, I never thought that 22 years later I'd still be listening to the same guy and that he'd be doing German dance rock. I don't know if it says more about Smith's longevity or me being stuck in a two decade long musical rut. Regardless, Von Südenfed is here and I'm enjoying it.

Besides Smith, the trio includes Jan St. Werner and Andi Toma from Mouse on Mars. Quite frankly, Von Südenfed sounds like a Mouse on Mars album with Smith handling the vocals. Although, like The Fall, some of it is just terrible and some of it is fabulous. The beats are disco infectious and, at this point, Smith's vocals are comforting in their familiarity. However, some of the songs go too krautrock on me.

Von Südenfed | The Rhinohead | Buy







Von Südenfed | Fledermaus Can't Get It | Buy






No comments: