Sunday, May 14, 2006

Is Galaxie 500 Coming to Montreal? | June 16th | Update | Another Update

OK. This is kind of weird. I'm sure there is a logical answer for it but I don't know what it is yet.

According to the website for Le Spectrum in Montreal, Galaxie 500 will be playing at Le Spectrum on June 16th. Considering that the band broke up 15 years ago under strained circumstances and there hasn't been any news regarding a reunion tour, I'm guessing this is a mistake or some band is somehow using the Galaxie 500 moniker.

I checked Dean Wareham's website, the site for Damon & Naomi and the Galaxie 500 myspace site. However, none of them mention this show.

Anyone know what's going on?

Galaxie 500 | Parking Lots
Galaxie 500 | Instrumental

UPDATE: I sent an email about this mystery show to some guy named Al whose email address is listed as the contact person on Damon & Naomi's website. Here's his response:

Save your Canadian dollars, cause it must be some other band -- but if you find out any other information about them, please forward it -- thanks, -- Al
So, it's a no go. Still, if anyone knows anything about who this other Galaxie 500 is, please send the info to: al@damonandnaomi.com

ANOTHER UPDATE:
Andy from the Galaxie 500 fan site, A Head Full of Wishes, sent me an email today saying that the band playing Le Spectrum is probably this French-Canadian band. They just spell their name Galaxy 500 rather than Galaxie 500. Le Spectrum probably just spelled the name wrong accidentally. Or they were hoping some local music fans would make the mistake and buy tickets. Regardless, I'm guessing if Galaxy 500 reaches any level of success, they'll be hearing from Galaxie 500's lawyers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The only three letters that apply here are:

W.T.F.

If I hear anything, I'll letcha know, but I seriously doubt that's real. Unfortunately.

Flatlander said...

I emailed the club last night but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

I doubt it's real also. However, occasionally, these things get accidentally leaked through dopey sitemasters posting things too early. So, I have a tiny glimmer of hope something is going on.